All children in KS2 belong to one of four Houses : – Brunwin, Capel, Kidder or Vaughan (important family names in the history of Rayne). This has an important part to play in our whole school behaviour policy. It allows the efforts, and achievements of pupils to be acknowledged and rewarded, and we hope it provides pupils with a sense of identity – of belonging to a smaller group within the overall family of the school. A variety of inter-house competitions are arranged during the year including the house sports day at the end of the summer term.
“House Captains are important people and they have lots of responsibilities and important jobs to do. You can get House Points for things like being kind, working hard, answering questions, being helpful, good behaviour, good listening etc.
Each week we count up the house points and every half term the cup goes to the House with the most points”
For 2015/16 the House Captains are :-
Agriculture declined soon after 1871 and families which had held farms in Rayne for generations disappeared from the village, though the Brunwins remained.
The manor of Haverings was in the parish of Felsted but the mansion house was in Rayne. In 1860 it was bought by George Alfred Brunwin, whose ancestors had been tenants of the property for over a century previous to that. He was a farmer and a landowner who farmed 400 acres and employed 19 men and 6 boys. Mr. George Eustace Brunwin succeeded him. The latter died in November 1974, aged 94.
Mr. G.A. Brunwin was elected as a Member of the Parish Council in the Church School Room on December 4th 1894. In 1940, 46 years later, as a result of the 1937 elections only the name of Brunwin appeared. In 1946 Mr. G.E.. Brunwin was elected Chairman. He served on the council and in 1969 retired after 62 years service.
The Reverend Richard Kidder
Dr. Kidder left a vivid account of the suffering endured by him and his fellow parishioners. This was due to the plague that had been raging in London and became known as The Great Plague in Rayne in 1666. The first persons in Rayne to die were three children who died on 18th, 19th and 20th April, 1966.
Dr. Kidder had a young gentleman – a youth of great hopes and of a considerable fortune – in his house at the time of the plague who unfortunately became very ill. Dr. Kidder arranged for a nurse and one of his servants to attend to him while he moved the rest of his family to another house where he shut himself away for a month. During this time he wrote several accounts of life in the village and many sermons. He visited the house frequently to attend their needs. The young gentleman died the following day and the servant became ill but recovered.
Sir William Capel (Mayor of London MP)
Sir William Capel was born about 1428. Sir William purchased Rayne hall in 1486. He left London leaving the house to his eldest brother John to inherit the family estate. In London Sir William made his fortune and was a successful man. He was a member of the Drapers guild and became the Lord Mayor of London in 1503. He was also responsible for the buildings of the red brick tower on All Saints Parish Church during the 16th century.
Sir William died in 1515 and was buried at the church of St. Bartholomew the Little in the City of London. He was a very wealthy man owning sixteen manors in various countries together with large amounts of money.
During the time that Sir William Capel and his son Sir Gyles Capel lived at Rayne Hall, extensive additions were made to the house. The hall continued in the Capel family until 1621 when Henry, the son of Sir Gyles Capel died. Although the Capell family still owned Rayne Hall personal connections with Rayne ceased and the Hall and farm were let to various tennants. Henry’s eldest son, Arthur was beheaded in 1649 after the siege of Colchester. His son Arthur was created Viscount Maldon and Earl of Essex by King Charles II. Rayne Hall remained in the possession of the Earls of Essex until 1990 when the estate was sold.
Miss Eliza Vaughan
Miss Eliza Vaughan was an authoress who lived in Rayne. Miss Vaughan’s books date from 1917 to 1930. Her earliest book “Stephen Marshall” was only borrowed four times and was based on the villages of Wethersfield and Finchingfield. Her “Essex Village in Days Gone By” was more popular up to 1956 and “These for Remembrance” (a collection of essays about the history of this area) was also quite popular.
Miss Eliza Vaughan was the only daughter of the Reverend Matthew Vaughan, one time Vicar of Finchingfield, where she and a large family of eleven brothers were brought up.
Miss Eliza Vaughan bought ‘Turners’ in Stane Street (now known as the Street) in 1895 where she lived for over fifty years. She took a very active part in the life of the village. She was a member of the Parish Council, afterwards Clerk to the Council for 39 years, assistant Overseer; Member and Clerk of the Parochial Church Council, Braintree Rural District Councillor; Felsted and Rayne School Manager. She did V.A.D. work at Braintree Military Hospital during the 1914 – 18 War and in the early years of the work of the Federation of Essex Women’s Insitutes, where she was one of its lecturers.
She died on 2nd February 1949, aged 85 and was buried at Finchingfield.